크게 작게 인쇄

[해외]수녀님들의 아프리카 일기, 그 첫 번째

수녀님들의 아프리카 일기, 그 첫 번째

필자 KVO아프리카 본부장 최 수녀님과 부본부장 양 수녀님은 아프리카에서 활동 중이며,

수녀님들의 아프리카 일기로 지속적으로 연재될 예정입니다.

아프리카에서의 생생한 활동 이야기를 만나보세요.

2014 11 1()

외국에 오래 머무르려면 비자문제가 보통 까다로운 것이 아니다.

2년 전 케냐에 장기 비자를 낸 것이 만료되어 그 연장 건으로 케냐에 왔다. 케냐에 프로젝트를 계속하려면 장기비자가 있어야 하기 때문이기도 하다.

그런데 서류를 다 갖추어도 그 장기 비자 받기가 까다롭다. 일관되지 않은 아프리카의 행정 탓도 있는 것 같다. 2년 전 경험으로, 이민국에 여러 번 가야 한다. 거기에다 약속대로 되지도 않는다. 똑같이 서류를 제출했어도 한 사람은 서류처리가 되고 다른 사람은 처리가 안 되는 등, 시간이 마냥 지체될 수도 있다. 다른 분들의 경험이야기를 들어보아도 천차만별이다.

그래서 1개월 정도 머물려고 방을 얻기로 했다. 한달 정도라면, 저렴한 게스트 하우스에 머문다 해도 방을 얻는 것이 더 싸고 편하기도 하다.

그런데 1개월이라 집주인들이 방을 안 주려 했단다. 어렵사리 이곳 KVO 현지인직원인 릴리안이 방을 구했다. 재수가 있는 편이다. 65,000실링(730$)에 보증금 10,000실링이다. 집주인은, 릴리안 말로, ()티가 나는 에티오피아 부부란다. 릴리안이 에티오피아어인 아마릭 어로 대나나츄하며 인사를 하니 반가워 하며 어떻게 아느냐고 하더란다. 그래서 에티오피아를 잘아는 수녀들한테 배웠다고 했단다. 그래서인지 남편 되시는 분은 오래 있을 사람을 원해서 우리를 거절하려 했는데 여주인이 우겨서 우리를 받았단다.

이 집은 전에 살던 Riana와 가깝고 Yaya 와도 가까운 곳이다.

전체 건물은 서민 아파트 풍으로 페인트가 안되어 허름한 느낌을 준다. 큰 나무 한구루가 입구에 서 있을 뿐 오직 시멘트 블록에 주차장 뿐이다. 방 한 개에 거실, 간단한 주방과 샤워장이 곁들인 화장실이 전부다. 화장실 천장은 윗층집이 새는지 전체가 얼룩져있고 곰팡이까지 나있다.

주인이 에티오피아인이라서 인지 동방정교회 스타일의 액자가 거실과 방에 걸려 있다.

그래도 잠시나마 우리 집이 있어 좋다.

창 너머로 보이는 앞집 정원이 아름답다. 잘 가꿔진 넓은 정원에 붉은색 지붕 위로 큰 나무들이 제법 우거져 있다.

여유로운 아프리카의 풍경이다.

2014 11 3().

Welcome sister! 쓰레기를 버리려고 대문 깐으로 나가니, 덩치 큰 문지기 아줌마가 서글서글하니 반색을 한다. 나는 인사를 받으며 좀 사귀려고 그가 있는 수위실로 들어갔다. 오후 3시경인데 점심식사를 한단다. 청소하시는 아주머니와 함께 먹고 있다. 그런데 오직 짜파티에(밀가루를 기름에 반죽하여 우리의 찌짐 같이 구운 케냐 주식의 일종)와 플라스틱 컵에 커피를 마시고 있다. 계란이라도 삶아다 주고 싶은 마음이 든다. 한국인의 정이 발동하는 것인가…?

Your name is… ? 나의 스타일식 영어로 이름을 물으며 격의 없이 그에게로 다가갔다.. 히야친다란다. 아이가 둘인 엄마란다. 낮에는 자기 혼자 이곳 대문을 지킨단다. 케냐에서 흔히 만나게 되는 외향적인 성격인 털털하신 분인 것 같다.

- 히야친다 아줌마와 함께-

고향이 어디인지 물으며 나이로비와 가까운 키쿠유 지역에서 오셨나요? 했더니 얼굴이 금방 분노로 바뀐다. 서쪽 지방에서 왔단다. 그래서 카카메가냐고 했더니 그렇단다. 나는 장난끼 섞인 말투로, 나도 루오출신입니다. 카카메가 가까이 있는 고트마타르 본도 출신이거든요. 케냐 신분증으로는 말이예요. 했더니 못 믿겠다며 재미있어한다. 이어서 나는 키쿠유족도 케냐사람, 루오족도 케냐사람 서로 좋아해야지 서로 반목하면 되느냐고 했다. 이런 주제로 잠깐 대화한 후에 그녀는 웃으면서 그렇다고 수긍을 한다.

전에도 키수무에서 단골택시기사 한 분과 같은 일이 있었다. 그분에겐 장난쪼로 숙제까지 주며 이 일을 전파하라고 했다. 그리고 만날 때마다 물어보면 그러고 있다고 하며 호탕하게 웃는다.

이런 일이 있을 때마다 내 나름대로 이곳 아프리카인들을 서로 화해시키고 일치시키려 하고 있다. 내 경험으로 이들은 순박해서 조금만 설명해 주며 다독여 주면 금방 수긍하며 수그러진다.

이런 면으로 이곳 아프리카 분들에게 교육이나 대화의 시간들을 갖게 해 주면 좋겠다.

이 문제는 중요하고도 심각하다. 자칫 아프리카의 내전이 이런 문제들로 일어나기 때문이다.

2014 11 6()

3일째 인터넷이 안 된다. 화장실에 물도 새어 바닥이 질퍽하다.

릴리안이 와서 인터넷 회사인 Zuku에 한참을 전화로 상황 설명을 했다. 그러나 오는 중이라고 하면서 오지를 않는다. 몇 번을 재촉하고 나서야 오후 4시경에 와서 인터넷 모뎀을 바꾸어 주고 갔다.

집주인에게도 전화를 했다. 기술자를 데리고 와서 보고 갔다. 간단한 부속품만으로 되는 것을, 릴리안 퇴근시간이 지난, 오후 5시가 넘어서야, 그것도 재촉 전화를 몇 번이나 하고 나서야 간신히 물새는 화장실을 고칠 수 있었다.

이런 류들이 아프리카 식이거늘!!

2014 11 11()

인터넷이 지난 목요일 하루 되더니 또 안 된다. 주말 내내 말이다. 알아보니 온 나이로비가 그렇단다. 오늘 저녁 때쯤 된단다.

중순에 오라는 이민국의 말에도, 좀이 쑤셔서 오늘 릴리안과 함께 가보았다.

조금은 진전되어 있었다. 신청인이 적합한자인지 하나씩 서류검토를 하는 미팅를 통과해야 하는데, 신청인들이 많아 우리 서류는 이번 주에야 올라와 있단다. 그 동안 법이 또 바뀌어 이 통과된 결과를 각자의 P.O Box로 보낸단다. 우리는 주소가 키수무이기 때문에 그곳으로 보낸단다. 그러면 일이 더디고 복잡해진다. 우편절차가 느려 도착도 언제 되는지도 모르고 아담씨가 찾아야 하고 다시 나이로비로 보내 주어야 하고…..

다른 방법이 없는지 5층으로 올라가 보았다. 잘하면 공식적인 절차를 넘기고 키수무로 보내기 전에 직접 받아 갈 수 있단다.

다음주부터 그 순간을 놓치지 않고 이곳에서 받을 수 있도록 깨어있어야겠다.

오는 길에 시장을 보아 릴리안과 점심식사를 함께 잘하기로 했다.

많이 늦었지만 즐거운 점심시간 릴리안의 수다가 늘어졌다. 이 수다는 다음으로

English ver. Story of Africa

No.1

Korean-English translated by Soyoung Yoo

2014. 11. 1 (Sat).

A visa problem gets complicated when staying abroad for a long time. I came to Kenya to renew my expired Kenya visa that was issued 2 years ago. I needed to have a long-term visa in order to continue our project in Kenya.

However, it is hard to get a long-term visa although all of the needed documents are already prepared. I think the problem is because of Africa’s inconsistent administration. In my experience for the past two years, it is needed to go to the Immigration office several times. Also, a visa does not go as promised. One Immigration officer may pass the documents, but another may decline. It might take forever. There are all sorts of stories by others’ experiences with the Immigration office.

So, I decided to rent a house for a month. Renting a house is much cheaper than staying at a guesthouse for a month. However, owners of houses were not willing to let me rent a house just for a month. Kenyan KVO worker, Ms. Lillian rented a house for me. I was lucky. The house was for 65,000Khs ($730) per month with a deposit of 10,000khs. According to Ms. Lillian, the couple that owned the house were Ethiopians. They looked wealthy. When Ms. Lillian said, “Daenanachu” in Amharic which is an Ethiopia language, the couple asked her how she knew Amharic. So she told them that she learned it from the Sisters who knew Ethiopia so well. The landlady insisted to let Sister rent the house although her husband wanted someone who would rent for a long period of time.

This house is located close to Riana and Yaya where I used to live before. The building gives a feeling of old and shabby. There is only one big tree near the front gate and parking place on the cement block. The house has one bed room, living room, small kitchen, and bathroom with a shower booth. The bathroom ceiling seem to leak and has mold. There are orthodox-style pictures hanging in the living room and bed room. I think it is because the owner is an Ethiopian. 

The pictures hanging in the wall

Anyway, it is good to have my own house although it is just for a short time. The garden in the front of the house overlooking my window is beautiful.

This is the calm scenery of Africa.

2014. 11. 3(Mon).

When I went to take out the garbage, a big woman who keeps the front gate said, “Welcome sister!” She was having lunch with a cleaning lady around 3pm. Their lunch was just Zzapatie (Kenya’s food) with some coffee. I wanted to give them some boiled eggs. Is Korean’s warmhearted nature about to invoke?...

I approached her while asking in my broken English, “Your name is?” Her name was Hiyachinda. She was a mom with two kids. She works as a gatekeeper during daytime. She was a typical type of Kenyan that had an out-going personality.

Her face turned to anger when I asked her if she was from Kikuyu area. She said that she was from the west area. So, I asked her if she was from Kakamega. She said yes. So I said jokingly, “I am also from Ruo. I am from Got Mar where Kakame is located nearby. My Kenya ID says that.” It seems like she was interested. And I said that Kikuyu tribe is Kenyan as well as Ruo tribe, so they should like each other, not feud with each other. She agrees with a smile on her face.

I had a similar experience with a regular taxi driver in Kisumu. I asked him to spread my opinion about the two tribes. He laughed broadly and said that he was doing it when I asked him if he was doing what I was asked for.

Whenever I face a situation like this, I try to reconcile Africans in my own way. In my experience, with Africans’ naïve nature, they tend to accept other’s opinions willingly when an appropriate explanation is provided. I hope that Africans have a chance to have this kind of education and/or communication.

This is an important yet critical problem. This could be a reason to cause an internal war in Africa.

2014. 11. 6 (Thurs).

The Internet has been down for 3 days. The bathroom is leaking making the floor wet. Ms. Lillian made a phone call to Zuku, the Internet company, and explained the situation over the phone for quite some time. They kept saying they were coming. After calling several times, they finally came at 4 pm to replace the Internet modem.

Ms. Lillian also made a phone call to the owner of the house. They came with a technician to see what was wrong with the bathroom. All he had to do was replace a small part. After calling him several times, he finally came to fix it after 5pm.

This is Africa’s style!!

2014. 11. 11(Mon)

The Internet worked on Thursday, but it is not working again. It has been like that throughout the weekend. It turned out that there was an Internet problem across Kenya. I was told that it would start working by tonight.

I was told to visit the Immigration office in the middle of the month, but I went to the Immigration office today with Ms. Lillian anyway. Little progress had been made. Applicants are required to pass a meeting with the Immigration officer for reviewing all the documents. My documents will be reviewed this week due to a large number of applicants. The rule has been changed again so the result will be mailed to each P. O Box. My result will be sent to Kisumu because my official address is Kisumu. This will make things more complicated. Their postal operation is slow, so I wouldn't know when I would receive the mail. Also Mr. Adam needs to mail it back to Nairobi after receiving it...

So I went up to the 5th floor to see if there was another way to receive the visa. If I get lucky, I might be able to get it in person before mailing it to Kisumu. Starting next week, I should keep an eye on this in order to get my visa.

On the way home, I went to grocery store shopping with Ms. Lillian. We had a very late but pleasant lunch, and Ms. Lillian’s chatting started.

The chatting will be on the next episode..

With Mrs. Hiyachinda  

코멘트 0