크게 작게 인쇄

One's future in one's hand 우리의 미래는 우리의 손으로

Exhibition at the Korean Volunteers Organization’s Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) centerExhibition at the Korean Volunteers Organization’s Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) center
30 March 2013 Written by

One's future in one's hand

Mulleta Regassa, 23, and Regassa Etecha, 24, were observing what their seniors have been preparing very curiously as the day that would have a critical impact on their society’s attitude get underway.
Both will graduate from the KVO Technical and Vocational School in Gabra Guracha, 156 km west of Addis Ababa in six month’s time. Having registered in the department of dressmaking and tailoring, the two friends’ dream that their work will be displayed up there for the exhibition, like their seniors', on graduation day. “We are looking to gauge what the general impression is with the exhibition,” they said.

Mulleta and Regassa were not able to pursue their academic studies in higher learning institutions. So, they were left with the single hope of attending a technical and vocational school, nonetheless, they were unable to do that as their parents were unable to afford it. They say that their future was looking bleak when an organization called Korean Volunteers Organizations came along and brought the Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) center to their village. They are here to realize what the future holds for them and ironically the future was right there in their hands; through TVET training. Nevertheless, TVET is not that big in Gabra Guracha; in fact, students joining such direction were generally taken as failures among the society. Today they are here to see if this attitude has changed.

“There was so much discouragement here that weakens us not to take up whatever field of work is available,” Tefera Tekalign, representative of the graduation class told The Reporter. Its youth, as in many of the other similar towns have been passing through a number of challenges that fate has brought to them. However, the attitude of the society seems to be one of the biggest problems that is setting them back and is depriving them of the opportunities that are in front of them; they say it has been a potential obstacles indeed. Likewise, in any other towns and villages in Ethiopia, education carries a lot of weight in the society's value system and of course, the standard is to go through higher education institutions. Nothing one does is ever good enough. As a result, the youth have been striving to get the grades that will allow them to be admitted in the public university system, the most prestigious higher education system in Ethiopia. Otherwise, it would be a disaster from their point of view.

“I had to walk to school (to the TVET center) hiding my books in my back. I had no confidence, so, I have hidden my education from my parents. As much as possible I have to hide my [misery]; the fact that I could not join the university,” Tefera says. As he embarks on a new day that has brightened his future, he feels that he is worth the opportunity. Graduated from the metal work department, Tefera has a lot of opportunities in front of him producing doors, windows and other materials on which are highly interlinked with the booming construction industry in the country. “It’s of course a very short time, it took me only a year to complete my studies. But change is big; really a big change indeed,” he says. With the help of KVO, he and his friends are feeling hope, self worth and honor. “To decide what we should focus on as KVO, first we conducted research and a sort of need assessment in the area.” Mikias Girma, Country director of KVO said.

The occasion that drew people from different walks of life was an ideal one to advertise the successes of the youth TVET graduates. Bulcha Robi, 55, and a town resident told The Reporter that this was the first event where such a work was celebrated, and the youth hands craftsmen came out of their shells to stand out and fight the negative attitude towards the locality. He remembered the time when he severely scolded his son when he was told that he (his son) was attending a vocational school.

“It was so unwise of me to do that since I drove him back to the academic field, something that obviously was not his strong suit.” he said. Learning from the past, he is calling upon the local public to be well aware of the advantages of vocational and technical skills. Alemayehu Ourgae, school headmaster, views the success of the youth as something that can inspire others to attend the vocational schools passing any hurdle in front of them.

The school that offers four trainings in its four departments, namely, Dress making, Metal works, Wood works and Information Technology (IT) has graduated 76 students as its first batch. And currently it has many on its waiting-to be-enrolled list. A well-equipped classroom where a number of products like prints made from genuine materials, discarded objects and lessons written on board are visible gives out the vibe of a sophisticated that seem to be existing in well organized institutions.

Fekadu Tulu, head of the province’s Technique and Vocational team, said that the zonal administration office has been facing challenges regarding youth unemployment, education and entrepreneurship. So, KVO TVET center is really an institution that is helping the society. He further appreciated the role that the organization has played to change the public misconception toward vocational trainings. “It has been the root cause of the problem that hindered many developmental activities from reaching the youth. Now it will inspire others and bring about a real change in attitude,” he says.

Apart from the training center, which is opening its doors to the future youth, the organization has also helped the rural community get solar powered electricity. “Over a thousand people in the village of Jilla Kellensa, 15 km away from the town, have electricity now,” Mikias says. According to him, the people used to live in inconvenient conditions and suffered from versatile health problems. The soot released by the traditional lamp was damaging to their sights and they were also unable to keep up with the sky-rocketing price of kerosene. Above all, the investment on the youth of Gabra Guracha is much louder than any other assistance that KVO throws the town's way. After all, the youth are the future of the society.

뮬레타 레가사(Mulleta Regassa. 23세)와 레가사 에테차(Regassa Etecha. 24세)는 그들 사회에 획기적인 날이 될법한 대망의 날인 오늘, 선배들이 무엇을 진지하게 준비해왔던 것인지 유심히 지켜보았다.
그들 두 사람은 6개월 후, 아디스아바바(Addis Ababa)에서 156킬로미터 떨어져 있는 게브라 구라차(Gabra Guracha)에 있는 KVO기술직업교육훈련학교(이하TVET 센터)를 졸업할 예정이며 그들 또한 그들의 작품이 선배들의 졸업전시회처럼 전시회에서 보여 질 꿈을 가지고, ‘봉제반’에 등록하였다. “우리는 전시회의 느낌과 반응이 어떨지 정말 기대하고 있어요” 라고 그들은 말했다.

사실 뮬레타와 레가사는 고등교육을 받지 못했다. TVET센터에 다니면서 작은 희망을 가졌음에도 불구하고 미처 부모님께 도와달라고 하지 못했다. 그들은 한국 국제 봉사 기구(이하 KVO)가 와서 TVET 센터를 들여왔을 때 당시 자신들의 미래는 험난했었지만 그들은 이곳에 와서 그들의 미래는 바로 그들 손에 달려 있다는 것을 TVET 교육을 통해 깨달았다. TVET는 게브라 구라차에서 그렇게 크지도 않을뿐더러 학생들도 사회의 낙오자 취급을 받기도 했었다. 하지만 오늘, 그들은 이런 실정이 얼마나 변화되었는지 지켜보고자 한다.

"지금까지 이곳에는 우리가 어떤 분야의 일이든 시작하고자 하는 의지를 갖기 어렵도록 하는 요소들이 너무 많았어요."라고 졸업반 대표자인 테페라 테카린(Tefera Tekalign)이 기자에게 말했다. 다른 마을에도 비슷한 많은 청년들은 이러한 어려움을 겪고 있다. 하지만, 사회적 인식은 그들에게 직면한 기회를 낙담시키는 큰 문제 중 하나이며 잠재적인 장애 요소가 된다고 말했다. 마찬가지로, 교육은 에티오피아의 다른 도시와 마을에서 그들의 사회가치체계에 매우 큰 비중을 차지하며, 그들의 관점에서 교육의 정석이란 고등 교육 기관을 거치는 일이다. 오직 하나의 길만 존재하는 것이다. 그 결과 청년들은 공립대학교에 들어가기 위해 힘을 쓰며 대학이 최고의 교육이라 여겼다. 대학진학이 아니라면, 그들의 관점에서 볼 때 재앙이 될 수도 있었다.

"저는 학교(TVET센터)에 등에 책을 숨기며 걸어가야만 했어요. 자신감이 없어서 부모님께 교육받는 것을 숨겨왔죠. 저는 제가 대학에 들어가지 못했던 '비참함'을 최대한 숨겨야 했죠." 테페라가 말했다. 드디어 그는 졸업 후, 자신의 졸업이 밝은 미래를 위해 충분한 가치가 있는 기회라는 확신이 들었다. 용접반을 이제 갓 졸업한 Tefera 앞에는, 현재 이 나라에서 엄청난 호황을 누리고 있는 건설업과 상호 관련된 문, 창문 및 기타 기자재 등을 제작할 수 있는 많은 기회가 펼쳐져 있다. “생각보다 교육기간이 빨리 흘러갔어요, 제 공부를 끝내는 데는 1년밖에 안 걸렸어요. 그에 비해 기회는 커요. 정말 정말 커요!.” 라고 그가 말했다. 그와 그의 친구들은 KVO의 도움 덕분에, 희망과 자존감, 그리고 영광까지 느낄 수 있었다.
“KVO가 어떠한 일이 청년들에게 도움을 줄 수 있는가를 결정하기 위해, 먼저 우리는 그 지역을 연구하고 수요를 파악하는 일을 해야 했습니다.” KVO의 현지 지부장 미키아스 기르마(Mikias Girma)는 말했다.

졸업생들을 새로운 삶의 길로 이끄는 것이, TVET 졸업생의 성공을 홍보하는 가장 이상적인 일이다. 불차 로비(Bulcha Robi. 55세)와 한 마을 주민은, 마을 출신의 젊은 장인들이 이곳에 만연한 TVET교육에 대한 부정적인 인식에 맞서 당당하게 자신들의 사업시작을 알리는 것과, 그런 일이 축하를 받는다는 것은 이곳에서는 처음 있는 일이라고 기자에게 말했다. 그는 자신의 아들이 TVET센터에 다니는 것을 심하게 냉대했을 때를 기억하며 말했다.

“제가 아들을 분명 교육의 현장에서 쫓아냈기 때문에 그런 일을 한다는 것이 제게 정말 어리석게 느껴졌었지요.” 그는 과거를 통해 직업 기술들의 장점을 이 지역 사회가 깨닫고 배우기를 원한다.
학교 교장 알레마예후 아워게(Alemayehu Ourgae)는 그들 앞에 놓인 장애를 뛰어 넘으며 TVET에서 격려할 수 있는 젊은이들의 성공을 기대한다.

TVET센터는 봉제업, 용접업, 목공업, 정보기술(IT)의 4개의 교육을 제공하며, 첫 시작으로 76명의 졸업생을 배출했다. 그리고 최근에는, 많은 등록 대기자들이 있다. 또한 교육 실습 장비가 잘 갖추어진 교실과 시각화된 수업들은 체계적인 단체 안에 존재하는 소속감을 준다.

지역 기술 직업팀 팀장 페카두 툴루(Fekadu Tulu)는 지역 총무국이 청년 고용에 관한 문제에 직면해 왔다고 말했다. 그렇기에, KVO TVET센터는 정말 지역사회를 돕는 기관이다. 그는 KVO가 직업 교육에 관한 기존의 인식을 타파해준 역할로 많이 감사해 했다. “부정정익 인식은 젊은이들의 개발 활동을 방해하는 근본적인 문제였다. 지금 KVO TVET센터는 다른 이들에게 긍정적인 자극을 주고 진정한 태도 변화를 가져올 것이다.”고 그가 말했다.

젊은 인재 창출의 문을 여는 TVET 센터는 물론이고 또한 KVO는, 현재 농촌 마을에 태양열 발전 전기를 얻도록 돕고 있다. “마을에서 15 킬로미터 떨어진 Jilla Kellensa(질라 켈렌사)의 천 명이 넘는 사람들이 태양열 전기 랜턴으로 살고 있습니다.” 미키아스는 말했다. 그의 말에 따르면, 마을 사람들이 불편한 생활 속에서 살며 다양한 문제로 고통 받아 왔다고 한다. 그들은 시력을 손상시키는 석유램프의 매연과 치솟는 그 가격을 감당할 수 없었다. 하지만 현재 태양열 LED랜턴으로 그들의 생활의 질이 향상 되고 있다.

그렇지만 무엇보다도, KVO가 가브라 구라차의 젋은이들에게 투자한다는 것이 KVO가 기존에 이 지역사회에 제공한 여러 지원 사업보다도 중요한 의미를 지닌다.

결국, 이 지역사회의 미래는 젊은이들인 것이다.

기사원문
코멘트 0